- Starts: Monday 20 June 2022 9:00 pm
- Ride leader/Event organiser: Phil Beed
- Category: Cancelled, Pop-up rides
- Route grade: A - Demanding route
- A - Demanding route. Riders should already have experience of, and be prepared for distance, hills and, probably, both. E.g. Liss or Arundel via Houghton.
- B - Hilly route. Involves major hills. E.g. Sustainability Centre or Alresford.
- C - Moderate route. Not especially long or hilly (but will involve climbs and descents). E.g. Bishop's Waltham
- D - Flattish route. Might involve some hills, but not major ones. E.g. Chichester or West Wittering.
- E - Short, flat route. Easy route often designed for people new to group riding.
Our grading scheme
When grading routes we use the following scheme:
At: Churchillian, The
Address: Widley Walk, Portsdown Hill, PO6 3LS
Contact us about this event
Send an email to ride leader/event organiser: Phil Beed.
An overnight ride to watch the sunrise at Stonehenge on the Summer Solstice
Departing The Churchillian, Portsdown Hill, 9pm
Coffee/Drinks stop at Winchester, 11pm (36Km)
Early Breakfast at Amesbury Services, 3am (45Km)
Stonehenge to join the Solstice Celebrations and observe the sunrise, arriving around 4am, sunrise is at 4:50am (10Km)
We will be riding through the night so you will need good lights and warm clothing.
It can be chilly waiting for the sunrise at Stonehenge & I would recommend bringing a padded jacket or fleece to wear.
After sunrise we'll head into Salisbury (20Km) for a 2nd breakfast.
I've listed this as a demanding ride mainly due to it being overnight. Although it won't be a fast ride we will want to keep sufficient pace to get to Winchester and also to keep us warm riding through the early hours.
To get home:
If you're not use to riding overnight or long distances it's recommended you catch a train.
If you are more adventurous and wish to ride back the route is reasonably flat and I can provide you with a GPX file. There may be other riders you can join up with, but there will not be a led ride.
Bookings for this ride/event
Booking is required for this ride. Please let the ride leader know if you want to join. Please do not turn up for the ride unless you've had your booking confirmed or your name appears below.
There are 10 spaces available for the leader and riders. Of these, 8 are left.
Bookings recorded for this ride (Log in to see rider names):
- A PCTC member
To ask to join this ride, please use the 'Contact us about this ride' link above to send an email to the ride leader.
About Pop-up rides
We have certain days when we try to organise regular rides. However, individual ride leaders can create pop-up rides for any day and time.
The small size of some pop-up rides means we might be unable to split a ride if you get into difficulties. We will do all we can to escort you back to the start point, but please be prepared to navigate yourself home or to call for support from a partner, relative or friend.