We're conducting a quiz night via Zoom. The usual rounds of questions and answers but you'll have to provide your own food and drink.
If you'd like to join us please register with Wilf by end of play Tuesday 8th December.
If you’re in the same room as someone else, it’s much better to share a device if you can, to avoid horrible audio feedback problems. Each person would count for team size calculations, so please tell him all names and how many devices.
Please also let him know if you'd like to be in the same team as one or more other members (maximum six people in a team, although co-operation over Zoom might be easier with a smaller number). That will allow Wilf to prepare for the quiz beforehand and won't waste other members' time at the beginning of the quiz.
We'll be using Zoom's 'break-out rooms' feature. Wilf and Joy will introduce each round then send each team into its own break-out room. Once there, you'll be able to chat with your team mates without anyone else overhearing. Each round's questions will appear at the foot of this page. When the prescribed time for the round expires you'll be returned automatically to the main meeting to hear the answers. Teams will self-mark.
To participate, you'll need:
- a PC, tablet or phone with a decent internet connection;
- speakers or headphones;
- a microphone;
- paper and something to make notes with; and
- some food and drink to nourish (or maybe cloud) the little grey cells.
The meeting won't be limited to 40 minutes, so there won't be a need to rejoin part-way through.
Obviously we're relying on the unquestionable integrity of Portsmouth CTC members not to use the web and to mark accurately.
To join the presentation click this link just before it starts. You will be asked for a passcode, click here to log in to see it. Andy will have published the passcode and a link that doesn't need a passcode in his 4th December update email. If you are not a PCTC member, contact Wilf or Joy via the 'Contact us about this event' link above.
Please make sure your name (or names if you join with someone else) appears correctly in the participants list: in the Zoom meeting click 'Participants' at the foot of the screen to show all participants, your entry is marked with "(me)". To change your name click 'More' and 'Rename'.
If you're unsure whether your device is up to it and whether it is configured correctly, you should check it out before the quiz: you can join a test meeting at zoom.us/test. The test asks you to speak a message which it plays back to you, testing both your microphone, playback device and video camera.
The 'break-out room' feature is relatively new. It wasn't an issue in our testing but it might be worth making sure your copy of Zoom is up-to-date:
- Windows PCs and Apple Macs: go to zoom.us/download, click 'Download' under 'Zoom client for meetings' and follow the prompts from your browser (don't use the Apple app store, the Zoom PC client doesn't appear there but you will see apps pretending to be Zoom).
- iPad or iPhone: use the Apple App Store, but be careful to select "ZOOM Cloud Meetings", developed by 'Meet Happy' or 'Zoom Video Communications'.
- open Google's 'Play store'
- tap the 'hamburger' icon (three parallel bars) at the top left
- tap 'My apps & games'
- if there's an update available, you'll see an 'update' button next to 'ZOOM Cloud meetings'
- If you lose your zoom window, look in the task bar for the blue zoom video camera icon. The Zoom Home window has a 'Back to Meeting' button.
- If you lose your Questions, browse to portsmouthctc.org.uk home page, and click event Quiz (you'll need to be logged in).
- You can rejoin the meeting at any time if you get cut off.
If you get any other problems that you can't fix, try one of these:
- Chat (note: Chat in breakout rooms is unique to that room)
- There's an option to request the host to join the breakout room
- Leave the breakout room if you're in one
- Call or text Wilf
Questions will appear here during the quiz
- Where does the River Test hit the sea?
- How long is a cricket test?
- Will Dominic Cummings’ test his eyesight by singing "Driving Home for Christmas"?
- Can Santa’s reindeer travel without a test if they have herd immunity?
- Is a question about test tickles scrottaly unacceptable?
- Can you fail a blood test?
Round 1 - Which month of 2020?
- President Trump freezes funding for the World Health Organization?
- 1st person in the world to receive Covid-19 vaccine (excluding trials)? Need exact day!
- Oxford Uni announces Steroid dexamethasone for Covid-19?
- America evacuates 400 citizens from Covid-19 cruise ship Diamond Princess quarantined in Yokohama port, Japan?
- UK suspends Hong Kong extradition treaty after new Chinese security laws?
- Harvey Weinstein sentenced to 23 years in prison for a criminal sex act and rape?
- Duke and Duchess of Sussex announce step back as "senior" royals?
- UK's wettest day on record, average 31.7mm (1.24ins) after Storm Alex?
- George Floyd dies while being restrained by police in Minneapolis?
- Huge Beirut port explosion kills more than 200 and over 6,000 thousand injured?
- Johnny Depp loses Sun "wife-beater" case?
- Trump’s tax returns in New York Times show $750 income tax (2016/17) and "chronic losses and years of tax avoidance"?
Round 2 - General Knowledge
- Which way does the wind blow in a high-pressure system?
- What is the feast day usually celebrated 23rd April?
- Which River enters the sea at Oporto?
- Which well used port is in Dumfries and Galloway?
- Which books feature Ronald Weasley?
- Which Church has its HQ in Salt Lake City Utah?
- In which year was Blue Peter first shown?
- What optical device was invented by Roger Bacon in 1250?
- Which marque of car has appeared most in James Bond films?
- Who was Le Carré’s hero in his spy books?
- What is the name of the place of the Calvary?
- What region is between Black and Caspian Seas?
- Who was the only Welshman to become Prime Minister?
- Which is the worlds largest Island?
- Of which country is Colombo Capital?
Round 3 - Who said that?
1 point for who said them.
1 bonus point for your own funny quote at the end of the round.
- What have the romans ever done for us?
- I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
- When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?
- The Lady’s not for turning.
- If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?
- I married beneath me. All women do.
- The only time my wife and I had a simultaneous orgasm was when the judge signed the divorce papers.
- Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.
- Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.
- Life is like riding a bicycle. In order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
- Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.
- Your mind is like a parachute: if it isn’t open, it doesn’t work.
- Some people think football is a matter of life and death, but it's much more serious than that.
- It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
- I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But I'm afraid this wasn't it. (Let's hope it wasn't tonight!)
Round 4 - Cycling and local
- Who just gained the women’s record for LEJOGLE (both ways)?
- In which local authority (i.e. district council) is Denmead?
- Which 3 cafes/coffee stops on our website are highest above sea level?
- Cycle route 2 (NCN2) runs along the south coast. Where does it begin and end?
- Where does the South Downs Way start and finish?
- What is the nickname given to the forts along the top of Portsdown hill?
- Name 3 of the forts.
- How many rides were run by PCTC in the year to November 2019. (To nearest 10)?
- In general what is the minimum speed of an Audax ride?
- Name all the Britons who have won the Tour de France.
- How many years has Tour de France run?
- How many stages did it have in 2020?
- Which female professional cyclist retired and become a jockey?
- Put the following in ascending order of height: The Trundle, Butser Hill, Old Winchester Hill.
- Name the 3 cathedrals nearest to Havant (it would have saved some controversy on the night if the question had asked for Anglican cathedrals).
Round 5 - More General Knowledge
This is a round that Joy and Wilf prepared in case there was time. It wasn't used on the night.
- When is Bastille Day?
- What is the only muscle in the body not attached at both ends?
- Which colour is at the top of a rainbow?
- At which Battle did the Charge of the Light Brigade take place?
- What is the name given to the cold veg soup originating in Spain?
- In Langstone Harbour is a mulberry which never made it to its destination. Which was?
- Who became speaker of H. of C. after John Bercow?
- Which countries create the Baltic States?
- The boat race runs between two bridges, in what order?
- If you were going to St Lawrence on Jersey what would you probably be visiting?
- When did Hitler become Chancellor of Germany?
- What is the condition known as SAD?
- Where in the body is the cochlea?
- Which common phrase probably originated from the Window Tax levied by George Third?
- Who wrote The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?
About club nights
These take place on the second and fourth Thursday evenings of the month during the winter at the Bedhampton social hall, Bedhampton Road, Havant starting at 7.45. £1.50 entrance, including tea or coffee and biscuits.