- Starts: Wednesday 29 October 2014 9:15 am
- Ride leader/Event organiser: Robert Sebley
- Category: Saturday and Wednesday rides
- Route grade: D - Flattish route
- A - Demanding route. Riders should already have experience of, and be prepared for distance, hills and, probably, both. E.g. Liss or Arundel via Houghton.
- B - Hilly route. Involves major hills. E.g. Sustainability Centre or Alresford.
- C - Moderate route. Not especially long or hilly (but will involve climbs and descents). E.g. Bishop's Waltham
- D - Flattish route. Might involve some hills, but not major ones. E.g. Chichester or West Wittering.
- E - Short, flat route. Easy route often designed for people new to group riding.
Our grading scheme
When grading routes we use the following scheme:
At: The Spring Centre, Havant
Contact us about this event
Send an email to ride leader/event organiser: Robert Sebley.
This ride was originally scheduled for October 15th.
Bill is no longer able to lead this ride, so it has gone back to being an informal one for now.
Robert has stepped forward to lead this ride.
Draft Plan for Ride to Chichester Marina and West Wittering - 29 Oct ‘14
Depending on favourable weather and a sufficient number of riders, the following is the intended route.
Medium Pace group, which Joy has kindly volunteered to lead - Westbourne - Woodmancote - Funtington - West Stoke - Lavant - south on Centurion Way - Apuldram - (~½ mile of rough stuff) - Elevenses (approximately 17 miles, rated as class D)
Fast Group, which I will lead - Westbourne - Walderton - Staughton - East Marden - Chilgrove - Lavant - south on Centurion Way - Apuldram - (~½ mile of rough stuff) - Elevenses (approximately 21 miles, rated as class B)
Elevenses will be at the Boat House Café (about 150 meters to the west of the yacht club bar/café)
After elevenses there will be more ‘rough stuff’ as we ride south on Salterns Way to West Wittering.
About Saturday and Wednesday rides
Rides from Havant with stops for elevenses, lunch and sometimes tea. If you're unable to keep up or have a mechanical problem, someone will be available to help you - although we obviously cannot guarantee to solve all problems.
Riders are free to join and leave the ride at various points. Some ride directly to the elevenses stop.
Click either heading below to find out more about Wednesday and Saturday rides:
Wednesday rides are the largest of our rides and can provide a range of options to riders. We often split into multiple groups at the start, for example:
- A fast group that takes a longer and/or hillier route to the elevenses stop
- A ride which takes a more direct route to the elevenses stop at a moderate pace
- An elevenses ride comprised of riders going only to elevenses; the elevenses ride will have its own ride leader and might go to a different destination if the route to the main elevenses destination is long and/or hilly
On Wednesdays it is highly likely that there will be several riders coming back to the Havant area from the elevenses stop - although they might not include a PCTC ride leader. If that is what you'd like to do, please consult the ride leader at the start to ensure someone knows and is able to bring you back.
In addition, some rides split after elevenses to go at different paces or to alternate destinations. These are usually announced during the ride briefing. Please ask if you are unsure about the options available.
Saturday rides are (usually) much smaller than Wednesday rides. As a result they offer fewer options for rides but more flexibility for routes and destinations.
The rides are often shown as 'informal' meaning there is no prescribed ride leader. Unless weather is particularly adverse, however, they always go ahead at the stated time and start point. We try to keep to the suggested elevenses destination to allow for people who want to ride directly there.
The lunch destination does change occasionally but we will always take views of riders into account. In particular, if you join a ride because you think you can manage the distance/hilliness, we would not substitute an alternative if it meant you couldn't join the ride.
If you want to ride with us but only to elevenses and need someone to help you with the route back, please use our general enquiry form to let us know in advance of the ride so we can try to arrange something for you.
This article describes what you should consider bringing with you on one of these rides.