Following advice from Public Health England, the UK Government and Cycling UK we have not been organising rides during the Covid-19 emergency. Instead riders have been going out alone or - more recently - in pairs.
The UK Government revised its guidance on 1st June to allow up to six people from different households to meet outdoors provided they observe social distancing and do not include people who are shielding because they are extremely vulnerable (or living with an extremely vulnerable person), or have a possible or confirmed Covid-19 infection. More details:
- Guidance for the public on the phased return of outdoor sport and recreation in England
- Groups of up to six from different households can exercise outside under new rules
- Coronavirus – guidance on accessing green spaces safely
- Staying alert and safe (social distancing)
- Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can't do
It is clearly impractical to return to the same kind of group rides we ran before the emergency.
Instead, we have created a mechanism for Pop-up rides:
- A ride leader uses a new, simple page on the web site to create a Pop-up ride describing:
- How many riders (up to five) the leader is prepared to invite
- An indication of the start point
- An indication of distance and/or duration
- An indication of any intermediate point(s)
- Their policy re non-members (some examples: members only; members have priority; primarily for non-members)
- PCTC members and non-members email the ride leader to ask to join the ride
- The ride leader uses email to invite up to five people to join the ride, and updates the ride page with a list of invitees; the email will explain where the ride will start
To find out about Pop-up rides, you can:
- Review the list of forthcoming pop-up rides in the side bar of the home page and this page
- Review the full list of rides shown under the 'Types of ride menu'
- Use one or more of our electronic feeds:
Unfortunately, sending all-member emails for each ride could get us blocked as a spammer. Instead, we will list forthcoming pop-up rides in the Friday update email and, possibly, in intermediate update emails.
- Read the ride details (including the 'About Pop-up rides' section) carefully and only ask to join rides that suit your ability.
- If you are invited to join a ride, do your best to be there on time; unless you have a good reason for not turning up, you might find it difficult to join future rides
- Do not attempt to join a ride unless invited
These rides are somewhat experimental. We will be able to continue them only if the facility is not abused. Please for the health and well-being of you and others, observe all the guidance shown above.
Click here for guidance to ride leaders wanting to set up and run a Pop-up ride.