Messages from New Zealand

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Joy Forrow 5 days ago.

  • Author
    Topic starter
  • #7740

    Andy Henderson

    Wilf and Joy are travelling around NZ. The posts below are an occasional blog of their adventures.

    We’ve moved this topic to a new ‘Public forum’ so that Wilf and Joy’s family can see the entries.

    Replies to this topic appear here...

  • #7742

    Joy Forrow

    Arrived Auckland after 24 hour flight. Not at all bad – seemed to be 2 nights and little day. Put the bikes together and re-sorted kit at Auckland Airport. Unfortunately my bike had damage to chain wheel (bent so much that pedals wouldn’t turn) but airport employee helped with large screwdriver and hammer and bike ok at least to ride 20 miles to campsite. Arrived 8pm. Thursday was a “rest day” and bikes sorted by a very helpful shop. Managed a swim in the ocean and sorted the kit. Now we’re back in central Auckland ready for train to Wellington tomorrow. We were going to camp tonight but decided to go for hotel as have to be at station at 7am and getting tent down and riding 5 miles including erratic ferry didn’t seem possible in time for train. It’s really warm – Wilf says too hot! Of course we think we have too much stuff but time (and weather) will tell!

  • #7747

    Chris Barrett

    Sounds like an interesting start to NZ.
    Enjoy Wellington and the ferry crossing to Picton. If you need any local assistance please ring my son Wills in Nelson he is always happy to help and his camper van would fit two bikes and kit if needed !! Mobile 0064 21 193 8574.

    Safe travels

    Chris Barrett

    • #7748

      Wilf Forrow

      Many thanks Chris!  Everyone is so friendly here, but they say ‘wait until you get to South Island – they’re REALLY friendly there’.

  • #7810

    Joy Forrow
    Week 2.
    The  train to Wellington was great. The commentary was excellent and we learned all about history and culture of NZ. We enjoyed Wellington and after a short visit to Te Papa museum did a round harbour bike ride to a seal colony and even saw some seals! The following morning we weren’t allowed on the 9am ferry we had a booked as they had had a ferry problem overnight and we were rebooked for 4pm. This gave us the opportunity for a further visit to Te Papa. We finally arrived Picton around 7pm and easily found a campsite. It was here that we noticed that the clientele could be classified into two groups – those under thirty on gap year or similar and those over 60. The former were all in tents or sleeping in the back of cars and the latter were all in motor homes. We were the exception!
    Exploring the Marlborough sounds was next on our list so rather that move on we took a water taxi with bikes to Mistletoe Bay and cycled back. The Queen Charlotte Track is a mountain bike route, but not for me on the folder, so after a two hour walk (no bikes) to a lookout we headed upwards to the road to ride back. Once there we innocently thought it would be fairly level as it followed the coast. Not so. It was dramatically up and down most of the way. It was also very hot – over thirty degrees. We’d done 11 miles and I was not at all sure I’d make it. Of course we got back fine in the end but it did teach me that NZ roads are hard with lots of climbing. The route we had planned for Picton to Nelson involved all main road and two saddle climbs, one over 400 metres, and a predicted tropical storm. We decided to get the bus!
    The storm was forecast for early Monday morning, but we just managed to get the tent down in the dry and escaped to the kitchen for some WiFi and coffee as the downpour started (all the campsites we’ve been to so far have kitchens with room to sit and eat).  Although travelling light we had to bring the cafetière!
    The bus worked well and the driver was very helpful with the bikes although he did charge us an extra $10 each for the bikes.  He reckoned if space was tight, full-sized bikes would have to have wheels removed, but he let another couple off that. The tropical storm was raging with strong wind and heavy rain, and the driver was getting updates about roads blocked and trees down.  We were very glad we weren’t riding.
    The rain had stopped by Nelson, so we got the tent up in the dry again, and found a nice pub to eat.
    The following day we moved on intending to ride “Tasman great taste Trail“.  Where it was close to the sea this had been badly damaged by the “king tide” and the storm. Our campsite at Mapua was closed due to the flooding but we found another 5 miles further on (up hill of course, and via a detour because of more blocked roads). We are now at Kaiteriteri beach site on the edge of Abel Tasman national park. It’s beautiful and we did a walk (or tramp in NZ) on part of the trail today. The weather has cooled down to around 23 degrees so great for riding and walking.
    We have just planned and booked some of the next few days to the west coast and down to Queenstown. Just hoping the weather will be fine and the riding not too challenging!
  • #7823

    Wilf Forrow
    Some pictures and additional gory details from week 1 and 2.

    Joy’s chainwheel jammed against chain stay

    How the baggage manglers mangled Joy’s chainwheel to jam it on the chainstay.

    A Japanese busker who claimed to be the world unicycle champion, showing us how to ride a pentacycle.  But not the easy way – he really did jump onto it from another unicycle.  I expect to see CTC riders doing this
    68B6A253-984F-437F-B538-D25DBB713525 AD636193-2B00-45E7-8B3A-6239B8D185D3
    Water taxi to Mistletoe Bay takes bikes – ‘no probs’ and ‘sweet as [a nut]’ are stock phrases round here.

    [caption id="attachment_7822" align="alignleft" width="300"]Water taxi Water taxi[/caption]

    Walking the Queen Charlotte Track.   so lock up bikes and start off up Track, taking detour for Lookout. Hard going, as we go fast, always think of ourselves as hikers, but don’t keep fitness up. 80% of muscles common to cycling, but the 20% not are suffering.  416 metres high, lots of up and down.  Magnificent views all over Marlborough Sounds.  We get back to bikes at 3pm pretty knackered.  Just need to cycle round to Picton now – it’s only 40 odd kms, but just constant up and downs – 15% at one point, and we both endured the walk of shame more than once, even with our super-low bottom gear.

    • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  Wilf Forrow. Reason: Correct visual error messages
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  Wilf Forrow.
  • #7855

    Joy Forrow

    Week 3 (rather belated!)
    Fantastic week of cycling and enjoying the scenery. We cycled back from the beach at Kaiteriteri to Nelson along the Great Taste Trail. Most was reopened from the storm damage so we cycled across Rabitt Island to Richmond then into Nelson the following day. We’d booked an hotel as the bus left at 0715 and it was great to get ourselves sorted and all the electronic devices charged. Fabulous bus ride through several National parks with a short stop at Pancake Rocks then onto Greymouth and the start of the 133kms West Coast Wilderness Trail bike ride, We took four days to do this which was not as easy as it sounds as it was mainly off road on gravel/stony tracks and of course we were carrying all the kit. We were riding on tracks carved through the bush and it felt very remote. Pretty scary at some points as the path was only a metre wide and there was a water race on one side and an almost vertical forested slope the other. The first night we stayed in the garden of a “retreat”. Quirky but great and sold individual packs of cereal and other food so just what we needed. The next two nights were in Department of Conservation (DOC) sites both by lakes with very limited facilities but in beautiful places. The first was particularly special with a pitch overlooking the lake with hills all around. We took time to swim in both lakes. We finished the trail on Saturday at Ross beach, ready to catch the bus Sunday afternoon to Fox Glacier and onto Queenstown on Monday. It rained as forecasted on Saturday night and we took the tent down in the pouring rain so it is soaking. We planned a night indoors tonight in Fox Glacier but as I write we are stuck in the bus at Franz Joseph with 30kms to go and the road is blocked by a landslide! Looks like we’ll be in the tent again! It’s still pouring!

    A note on the cycling – When I wrote last week I was a bit disappointed with the cycling but what we’ve done this week has been wonderful if slightly out of my comfort zone as it was mostly off-road. The roads in the north of South Island were busy and we avoided them as much as possible. One section we had to do felt like riding on the A303 on a summer Saturday. However further south the roads are much less busy and although we’ve only ridden relatively short distances I was comfortable )riding them as there is so little traffic there is plenty of room for cars to overtake. Having said that there are big distances between places and few places to get food and drink. We have felt as if we are “cheating” by using buses but they are a great way to cover distance and have allowed us to spend time doing the trails which really get you off the beaten track. As we have folding bikes so far we’ve not had a problem with the buses but we would have struggled today at least with normal bikes. The driver insisted the bikes were fully folded and still charged us $10 each. We’ve met a number of cycle tourers on our travels all of whom have covered greater distances and not used buses. Most were younger than us.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.